Thursday, September 23, 2010

Things that American people living in Africa want

So a few people that love me for some crazy reason have been asking what they can send me way over here in Africa. As a result I have decided to create what, in really lame circles, is known as a “living document”. I will update this list as time goes on so that it will always be pretty much up to date and can always be used as reference.

Before reading this list, please know that these are only suggestions. I am sure that you have many creative ideas for things that I would love, but have not thought of. Additionally, I would be happy to receive pretty much ANYTHING. If you want to send me an envelope full of sour patch kids I am alright with that (but I would recommend a zip lock bag to keep the ants away).

Also, the reason that it is so great to send me things is because a lot of the stuff that is sold in America is either A) Not sold here at all so I really miss it a lot or B) Sold here, but only in Banjul and is really expensive and C) Because I really really like getting stuff in the mail and it makes me extremely happy…

Finally, the best way to send things is to buy one of those standard rate boxes and to ship it via airmail. You can also buy smaller padded envelopes to be sent via airmail. The main point is that you really should send using airmail or I may never see it :(

Alright, here goes –
UPDATED ON 11/04/2010
• Combination lock
• Pens
• Bobby pins
• Head bands and braclets
• Fly swatter
• Aveeno face wash
• Tooth paste, floss, Listerine
• Knives and other cooking utensils such as spoons and spatulas and measuring cups and teaspoons/tablespoons
• Tupperware is a good way to store things
• French press coffee maker (will be really hard to send)
• Blender
• Pictures!
• Small speakers for my computer to play music
• Dry erase markers
• American food such as (I would really love some of this right about now):
- Crystal light drink packets are amazing (or any other brand really)
- Starbucks VIA instant coffee!
­ - Tea and hot chocolate with marshmallows
- Refried beans, black beans and pinto beans (Why don’t they have these here? I have no idea)
­ - Thai peanut sauce
­ - Stir fry sauce
- Seasoning packets such as Ranch dressing and Lipton French Onion dip
­ - Fried rice seasoning
­ - Falafel mix (Mom, you know the brand that you made before)
­ - Lipton rice and noodle packets
­ - Dried Fruit – Cranberries, pineapple, blueberries
­ - Granola
­ - Granola bars
­ - Cheese! – If you can find a type that makes it in the mail :D
­ - Crackers and cheese nips
- Pesto
­ - Sour candies! I love these :)
­ - Any other type of dry foods that can last in the mail

If there is something you want from here don't be shy to tell me what it is and I will see what I can do!

A tip on sending boxes of food is to remove the contents of the box and put it into a plastic bag instead so that it takes up less space.

Finally, school supplies such as markers, note cards, pens, folders, staplers, paper clips, tape, books are really hard to come by in this country. If you want to send some specifically to me or if you would like to send something and have me make a donation on your behalf please do so. On that note, if you want to send anything and have me donate it on your behalf please do, you don’t even have to include anything for me. The only item that you cannot send to me for purposes of donation is money! Please do not send money to donate to an organization or school etc. If you want to do so you need to go directly through Peace Corps.

Abaraka bake! Jere jef!
(Mandinka and Wolof)

Love,
Samantha

No comments: