Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Holy God America is Cold!

As you may have noticed, or heard, I am in America for a short time. Trip length December 12st to January 15th or sometime close to that hopefully.

When in Africa we all talk about what we miss, what we want to eat right now and what we will do first when we get back to America. I am writing this blog to remind me, and maybe a few other people, of a few of the not so amazing things that we left behind. Maybe this will also help to make the holidays away a little better.

Enjoy!

1) It is SO SO cold and my feet do NOT like sneakers anymore.


Stephen is sporting the latest winter fashion trend to sweep Michigan. As many layers as possible...


2) As soon as I got off the plane my skirt was already sticking to my legs from static. I couldn't wear my hair down in The Gambia because of my sweat and I can't in America because of the static. Nothing has changed.

3) My nose hurts and my lips are so chapped from the dry weather. My Dad had to buy a humidifier because it is too dry for me to sleep :(

4) It may only cost $0.02 to skype America from The Gambia, but it costs $0.45 to skype The Gambia from America. Totally not fair.

5) My Starbucks, although delicious, cost > $5.00 at JFK airport. WTF.

These Starbucks drinks were not quite as much, but that is because it is Michigan


6) There are about 5 hours of sunlight in the day, if we are lucky.

7) Texting is NOT free

8) Commercials are SO loud

9) You HAVE to drive and taxis cost way more than 5 dalasi or are not available in the Michigan country. What this means is that all those drinks you wanted to try are not so easily available :(

Don't get me wrong America it is pretty awesome, but when you are really sad think twice about all the not so amazing things you left behind. Maybe it will help. Mostly I wanted to vent.

I also took some pictures to help you remember:




And lastly, this is my friend Stephen posing for a depressing Michigan weather picture. He was pretty sad that the sun had been missing for several days now.

No comments: